Today the European Bridge League has released the followings:
“The EBL is aware that a further investigation into the actions of Balicki-Zmudzinski has commenced and is awaiting its outcome.”
This statement refers to the investigation on Balicki and Żmudzinski opened by PBU (Polish Bridge Union) on March 9, 2017.
The EBL is awaitng the results of PBU investigation before deciding on taking further actions.
The full story
In September 2015 the WBF Credential Committee withdrew their invitation to the Bermuda Bowl in Chennai to the illustrious Polish stars, they were replaced by Piotr Gawrys and Michal Klukowski.
In May 2016 the European Bridge League (EBL) president, Mr Yves Aubry, decided to refer the case to the EBL Disciplinary Commission, “as the pair are suspected of committing infractions of the laws of Bridge”.
In February 2017 the EBL Disciplinary Commission posted its decision: ” The evidence does not sustain a conviction of Messrs Cezary Balicki and Adam Zmudzinski for illicit exchange of information through prearranged methods of communication during the Competition. No sanction shall be imposed on the Messrs Cezary Balicki and Adam Zmudzinski.”
Following the spread of a new video, on 9 March 2017 PBU (Polish Bridge Union) decided to open a new investigation on Cezary Balicki and Adam Zmudzinski.
On 10 March 2017 EBL released at Neapolitan Club the followings: “EBL is examining the video to determine whether there are grounds to open a new investigation. The decision will be taken after the EBL Executive Committee to be held in Lausanne at the end of March.”
On March 20 2017 PBU officially announced the temporary suspension for Balicki and Zmudzinski.
- 26 September 2015: WBF Credential Committee »
- 2 October 2015: PBU Statement »
- 4 November 2015: Poland withdrew from Champions’ CUP »
- 5 November 2015: Cezary Balicki’s Statement »
- 7 May 2016: Poznan case »
- 8 May 2016: PBU on Poznan Case »
- 30 May 2016: EBL Disciplinary Commission »
- 7 October 2016: Open letter from PBU to EBL »
- 11 October 2016: EBL’s Reply to PBU »
- 12 February 2017: Decision of EBL Disciplinary Commission »
- 9 March 2017: New Investigation »
- 16 March 2017: PBU’s Decision »
- 20 March 2017: Temporary Suspension for Balicki and Żmudzinski »